Between 18 the quarries were on the west side of railway and from 1950 to 1961 on the east side.
HISTORY HOME History Timeline Listed Buildings Other Buildings Old postcards Pub history School history Shop History Reminiscences First World War Famous people Descriptions Press cuttings Streets The quarries Miscellaneous See also: MARSTON HISTORY Under the Headington Enclosure Award of 1805, Richard Finch of the Rookery in Old Headington was granted two plots of land on the south side of the London Road that now comprise most of the Highfield area of Headington.The estate developed at the eastern side first, probably because there were only fields to the west, while to the east Lime Walk could be linked to New Headington village via a short piece of road originally called “New Road” but known as All Saints Road after the new church was built in 1910.New Headington village thus initially provided Highfield with all its facilities (the infant school and chapel of ease in Perrin Street, and the shops and Methodist chapel of its High Street).Further land was subsequently purchased adjoining the original 33 acres, and eventually Highfield Farm reached a size of 138 acres.In 1859 the Finch family sold the Rookery and Highfield Farm to the Revd William Taylor, who continued to let the farm out to tenant farmers.The On 7 June 1890 an advertisement appeared putting out to tender the job of building the roads of New Headington, including Lime Walk.
The Ordnance Survey map of 1898 below shows the extent to which the Highfield estate had been developed by that date.
These two plots were sold, and in 1878 the first two houses were built on the Highfield estate: one on the south side of the London Road (Ellerslie, later Dorset House) and one on the north side of Old Road (Highfield Cottage, now 61 Old Road).
The next advertisement to appear in was on 17 March 1877, and this advertised building land on the south side of Old Road on the Highfield Estate: this resulted in the mansion with its 28-acre estate known as Highfield Park (later the Park Hospital).
Tilton on the Hill is one of the highest places in East Leicestershire at 719 feet (219 m) above sea level, with the Mill House standing at the highest point.
Whatborough is the highest summit in the eastern half of the county.
Plot 21 (over 19 acres) lay to the south and west of the Britannia Field, and Plot 9 (over 13 acres) was due south of this on the other side of Old Road.